What should I serve for dessert for a party that is cocktails and heavy hors d'ourvres?

There will be 16 people.

sexyLAMBCHOPx May 22, 2012

cupcakes & fruits?

Benny
Benny May 22, 2012

Cookies and coffee.... That and more cocktails.

Voted the Best Reply!

HalfPint May 22, 2012

I was going to add "jello shots" and why not more cocktails. That coffee would taste really good with some Bailey's, Frangelico, or Kahlua ;)

Peter
Peter May 22, 2012

You want something you can make pretty far in advance and can be held in hand. How about something classic like chocolate mousse?

bigpan
bigpan May 22, 2012

Since the "meal" is one-bite items, stick to that theme and have a small assortment of one-bite desserts.

sexyLAMBCHOPx May 22, 2012

good idea bigpan. perhaps chocolate dipped fruit and mini cupcakes.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Make or order something light and fresh, personally I wouldn't make the dessert myself I would order it. How about a fruit tart or a bunch of mini fruit tarts with a side of couple different sorbets.

amysarah May 22, 2012

I agree with one bite pastries - cookies, brownies, lemon bars, whatever you like. Also, homemade biscotti, made smaller than usual, work well and are easy to make ahead.

Another nice way to finish that's sort of midway between an hors d'oeuvre and a sweet is to serve some good Stilton on a thin toast or a wheatmeal cracker (e.g., Carr's), with some fig jam or a sliver of juicy pear. (My favorite.)

allans
allans May 22, 2012

I have served this before with good results. Skewer assorted fruit, grapes, pineapple, mango, strawberries. Put some Greek yoghurt in a clear plastic cup and have the skewers in the cup. One per. Easy to eat, light and refreshing, and can easily be carries around.

boulangere May 22, 2012

Mini lemon bars. Way low on the labor-intensive scale.

bigpan
bigpan May 22, 2012

Another thought is to buy those little balls of ice cream that are covered in chocolate - put in a nice bowl (silver or glass) inside another bowl with dry ice ! Nice visual. If you can't get dry ice use regular ice with small Xmas lights around the bowl - NOT in with the melting ice.
Stick a fancy toothpick in each ice cream ball.

futurechefHotline
futurechefHotline May 22, 2012

Dessert + liquor + easy service + easy storage

= chocolate amaretto zabaglione with (just for fun) amaretti-style ladyfingers

Bevi
Bevi May 23, 2012

Mini-shortbread tarts filled with some kind of creamy filling - - mousse, curd, no-bake, etc. You can make the tarts in advance and freeze them, and you can make the filling a day in advance. All you need to do is assemble the day of, and decorate each tart with a berry.

Bates,Barley
Bates,Barley May 23, 2012

Thanks everyone! I went with smitten kitchen's lemon bars. And may do some biscotti depending on time.