🔕 🔔

What can I substitute for apple cider in a recipe

asked by Courtneykeyrich over 5 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

What's the recipe? For most things, apple juice should be an okay substitute, unless the cider is really the main ingredient (like in a cocktail or something).

96fce363 26a8 4771 9c4b f121362e6420  fb avatar

It is a dressing for a salad and I am supposed to cook the cider down. I didn't know if apple juice would work the same way

62ea607e a81d 425a 8c45 4d3b60fb78d0  fb avatar

It is for a marinade for ribs.

It is for a marinade for ribs.

Guessing the cider is a pretty key flavor component of the dressing. You could cook apple juice down, but it won't have quite the same effect -- especially if it's not good-quality apple juice. Do you have a link to the recipe?

If you are concentrating the flavor by cooking it down, I don't think anything will be a good substitute. Sorry.

7034ad21 56c2 43d1 9b5d c150db99b78a  stringio

I think an unsweetened apple juice (unfiltered if you can find it) would work. It's a substitution, so the result won't be exactly what the recipe intends, but it should be fairly similar. I've also (in an emergency) mixed a little applesauce into apple juice to approximate a cider. Again-- definitely not ideal, but in a pinch it may help.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

In the U.S., the terms "apple juice" and "apple cider" are synonymous. The FDA defines Apple cider as " juice that is expressed from apples".

Some people regard cider as being fresh and unfiltered and juice as being filtered but, barring any individual state regs, that's simply custom and varies by location. If your local grocery store is like mine, you can find clear cider and clear juice sitting side-by-side -- same product, different paper label. In other words, both are marketing terms, not product definitions.

Some people think of mulled (spiced) cider whenever they hear the term "cider"; more confusion dates from before prohibition when cider meant hard cider (and still does in other countries). And some people confuse juice drinks with pure juice; the percentage of actual juice is required to be on the label.

3c91ff1f 731a 402e a059 9ba82e4ddd90  ciderjuice

I would try unsweetened apple juice with a good shot of Calvados or applejack.

I have a meat recipe for a slow cooker, and it requires 1/4 cup of apple cider. I dont want to pay 15$ for real cider for a measly 1/4 cup. So If I extract the juice directly from the apple from my fruit juicer, could it be a closer substitute for cider in my recipe?