🔕 🔔

Using tart cherries that I froze (with sugar/their juice) in a pie...thaw first?

I want to make my favorite cherry pie tomorrow, and I have a bag of frozen tart cherries that I washed, pitted, and froze in an airtight bag with their juice and 1/2 cup sugar (I was told this would keep them from turning brown, and they still look red, so I guess it worked). Should I thaw them before putting into the pie? The cherries are in a huge solid block of cherries/juice/sugar. Oh and my pie recipe calls for 3 Tbsp of cornstarch, but no other thickeners. Any help is appreciated!

asked by chimera over 5 years ago

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I always freeze them with no sugar. When i thaw them, I do use some of the juice, but if it looks like too much, I pour off some. I find that tapioca (try 3 Thb) makes the best thickener. You can spread a thin layer of ground almonds in the bottom of the pie shell, too. (The juice is delicious straight as a cook's treat or stirred into lemonade.)

I thaw my cherries in a bowl in the fridge (I don't sugar my cherries and have never had a problem with browning, but I do add a little lemon juice while I'm pitting), reduce the liquid quite a bit (to about 1/3 of a cup) and add it to my pie.
I tend to use arrowroot as a thickener, but I think it subs one to one with cornstarch.