🔕 🔔

Anyone know of any good cocktails made with hefeweizen?

asked by delys1977 about 5 years ago

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

What about a shandy? I think it would be good with a heferweizen. There are a few recipes online (http://m.epicurious.com...) but I have a friend who makes it just by mixing beer and store-bought lemonade.

Hefeweizen has flavor similarities with bananas and cloves. I have seen a cocktail made with a banana syrup and Weizen, but haven't tried it. You can also add a bit of elderflower syrup to Hefeweizen. I have sampled that and liked it. The most famous combination with Weizen--and this is made only with Berliner Kindl beer which is particularly sour--is the beer combined with sweet woodruff syrup. I love this one!

I found a recipe for the Berliner Weisse mit Schuss at http://www.food.com/recipe...

I think it might be worth making your own sweet woodruff syrup because the green stuff you buy in a bottle is totally produced from chemicals--and contains no real sweet woodruff. Make a simple syrup and let the sweet woodruff steep in it for several days until it smells good. You might add some ascorbic acid for a slight tartness and to prevent mold. Also, use sweet woodruff before it blooms. After it flowers, the plant can cause headaches.

Found this one, too: http://www.beertutor.com....
Note that it calls for banana juice, not syrup, as I had thought.

Also be aware that German wheat beers have a much different flavor than US wheat beers, and the beer you choose could affect the taste of your cocktail.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

The Percy Street Barbecue in Philadelphia serves Hillbilly Gatorade which is Miller Hi-Life, Pickle Juice and Old Faithful BBQ Sauce. Heferweizen might just class it up a bit.