Suggestions on how to use up lemon/lime syrup?

I made a batch of no-cook citrus syrup from Bravetart - any suggestions on how to use it up, apart from mixing cocktails? It's made from various kinds of lemons and limes.

asked by Stephanie B. 8 months ago

Poach poultry in it.
Make ice cubes.
Use as a base for fruit salad.

Stephanie B.

Ooh working it into a savory dish like poultry is a great idea, thanks Nancy!

Use as a soaking syrup for pound cakes. I have a pound cake recipe that has me pouring a lemon syrup into a pound cake and letting it soak in. It's good. Works better with firmer cakes.

You can also brush lightly onto any cake and then frost. It's another way to add flavor after a cake is baked. Same idea with crepes, like the French way of serving crepes sprinkled with sugar and a squeeze of lemon.

You can use it on waffles and pancakes in lieu of traditional syrup or maple syrup.

Very good with a lemon pound cake. I make a lemon pound cake wherein the grated zest of a whole lemon is tossed with the dry ingredients. But you can also rub the grated zest into the sugar with the back of a wooden spoon to bring out the flavor before creaming the sugar with the butter. When the cake is baked but still hot, poke holes in the top with a toothpick if you have one and pour the syrup over.

Stephanie B.

Thank HalfPint and creamtea! I'm not a huge cake person, but I'm coming around to them so this would be a good opportunity to explore. I'm thinking polenta cake...

I also love the crepe idea and can't believe I didn't think of it myself! Of all the fancy crepe options, lightly sugared with a squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of nutmeg will always be a favorite.