🔕 🔔

Magenbrot

Do any of you have any familiarity with this German ginger "stomach bread"? They are glazed, diamond shaped, two-bite gingery bread/cookie... things. My wife is remembering it fondly from a winter trip to Germany years ago. While there are a fair few recipes online, they vary about as widely as you might expect. Has anyone made these? Has anyone even heard of or eaten these? What should I look for in a good recipe?

asked by PhillipBrandon over 5 years ago

Magenbrot is a riff on Lebkuchen and is a favorite at fall and Christmas markets. I have an excellent Lebkuchen recipe, which I am happy to share, but the texture is not the same as Magenbrot. Do you speak German? This site has what looks like an excellent recipe: http://lamiacucina.wordpress...

Ee6e1f61 c2e2 48b1 b500 bb90cc2c5b83  itsme

It's interesting that that one uses a chocolate glaze. Reading through the comments (some of which get strangely poetic using Google Translate) I see that's a personal variation. I think I'll try his gingerbread, but might stick to a more traditional glaze the first time since we're trying to recreate remembered treats.

Many people glaze Lebkuchen with chocolate--as do bakeries. Even though I love chocolate, I always go for the powdered sugar-lemon glaze.