Deboning a Turkey Leg

I don't often cook with turkey. When I do, it's typically roasted whole. Every now and then, however, (and I'm talking once a year or so) I make a turkey roulade with the following steps:

1) remove the skin in one whole piece
2) remove the breasts and butterfly/lightly pound into an even thickness
3) debond the legs and make a force meat with the dark meat.
4) wrap the forcemeat with the breast and then wrap the entire thing with the skin
5) roast

My problem arises when I get to the "debone the leg" part. Does anyone have trick for getting in and around all the tendons when removing the leg meat? I feel like I waste a lot of useful meat because of the tediousness of the task.

asked by Benny over 6 years ago

bigpan

I've done it before and yes it is a pain. Best to have a very good sharp boning knife and patience. Very difficult if using a small paring knife, chefs knife or machete.