🔕 🔔

My whole family prefers dark meat turkey, so I want to roast turkey thighs. I have about 4 pounds. How long do I roast and at what temperature?

asked by SusanN almost 7 years ago

I'm down with your whole family here. I prefer the dark meat too. But it's less a question of time than of internal temperature. Start your oven at 500F if it goes that high. Rub the thighs all over with olive oil and salt (this will help crisp the skin). After about 15 minutes open the oven and baste the thighs (sounds sexy, doesn't it?). Lower oven temperature to 350F. Because you are cooking pieces rather than a whole bird the time should be shorter. I'm guessing 1 to 1/2 hours with frequent basting, but your oven and mine might really be 25 degrees apart. The critical thing is to use an instant read thermometer to test. Stick the probe in the fleshiest part of the thigh---with some "instant" reads this might take as long as 20 seconds. When it hits 150-155F take them out, place on a platter covered in foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Love that dark meat.

Thanks! This really helped.