🔕 🔔

What is the best way to test the acidity of homemade vinegar? I have several quarts that I'd like to use in chutneys that I'll can. Thanks!

I know there are pH strips out there -- in fact, I have some for my pool, but the range is too low -- and my local wine making store only sells titration kits, which seem like overkill. Should I use pH strips? And if so, where is the best place to find them (in the 4.0 to 6.0 range), other than online? Your thoughts? Thanks so much, everyone. ;o) P.S. I'll buy online, but want to do some canning this weekend!

AJ, try gardening centers or plant nurseries. They sell strips to test soil pH.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

If you have a pool..maybe a multi purpose electronic one with a large range might be justifiable.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I have pH test tape on a roll, and some on tabs. It is available in health food stores, used to test saliva and urine. I believe pharmacies may also carry it. I just ran a quick test, using white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, water and baking soda (in a few drops of water) -- the range is distinct. The low end on the roll is 5.5; for the strips it's 5.5. Results are taken by comparison with a color chart.

Just to update you . . . . I couldn't find the strips in a pharmacy, and have had little time for shopping, so I decided to approach this problem from a different angle. I have nearly an full jar of citric acid leftover from my mozzarella making, so I did a bit of research, and found in "Putting Food By" by Janet Greene, et al., that 1/4 teaspoon citric acid provides the same amount of acidity as 1 tablespoon of 5% vinegar or lemon juice. I'll use the vinegar for flavor. I know the chutneys will be a bit sharper but I like them better that way, so it works. ;o)