🔕 🔔

How to make fried okra with corn meal

asked by clint over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Here's a recipe from Paula Deen: http://www.foodnetwork...

00c46d23 3575 4258 98ff 95bf01356ea4  stringio

I personally just dredge the chopped okra in seasoned cornmeal (salt and pepper). I like white corn meal. With the sticky okra egg was isn't necessary. Then just fry in veg oil I like to add a dab of bacon grease for flavor

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Chop it up..soak in butter milk a bit. Drain it. Put in a paper bag with seasoned corn meal (seasoning salt, garlic powder, pepper) shake it and fry. "Dredging" is a pain to deal with in lots of such small slices---dump in the paper bag and shake it.
And yes, you can even skip the butter milk soak---fresh okra is sticky enough to get a coating---but the buttermilk does remove some of the slime on fresh okra; which isn't that much of a problem when coated and fried.

I like Sam's paperbag treatment. I love okra and I don't mind the slime. But if you do, buy the freshest okra you can find and use a very sharp knife to slice, that will help to minimize it. Use a deep cast iron pan or gumbo pot to finish the job.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Might I argue that you can skip frying and just baste in olive oil ad soy sauce and toss on the grill for a few moments? Don't cut it and the slime issue will be a non issue.