Making nashville hot chicken and corn salad, but need another side. Any suggestions?

This is for a dinner party of 8. The chicken will be fried, and I'm making a seared corn and chile salad... but need another side that's fun/not potatoes. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

asked by daina mara over 4 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

With all that spicy food why not a cool cucumber salad? I make this one for company year round:
https://food52.com/recipes...

Meaghan F

Agreed - go for a slaw or some other make-ahead salad that'll cool mouths down. Pickles are usually included when it's served traditionally (that is, bone-in between two slices if white bread) so if you've got cucumbers already lying around, you could whip up a homemade batch of those, too.

daina mara

Thanks for the advice! I am serving it with pickles (as per tradition with hot chicken), but the corn salad isn't spicy. I'll try the cucumbers though, sounds good!

How about potato salad?

daina mara

Looking for something that's not potato based, but thanks for the advice!

Peggasus

Baked beans are pretty classic.

Brady Klopfer

I'm seconding the cucumber salad or slaw of some sort. Even if the corn is not spicy, it's still a little heavy. Having something light and refreshing would be a good idea.

A watermelon and arugula salad would also be nice.