🔕 🔔

Can you blend with a food processor?

I have had a Kitchenaid blender for years and the rubber thing on the base has shredded. I called kitchenaid and they sent me to some website to get the replacement part. I am little scared of fixing the electronic but am going to give it a shot. If it does not work, I was thinking about getting a food processor instead of a new blender. I have a hand stick blender for soups, etc. Would a food processor be able to blend liquids like a blender? Thanks in advance.

asked by puttakka over 5 years ago

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

In my experience, a food processor - while hugely useful for many reasons - doesn't produce as smooth a puree as a blender. It also doesn't froth in as much air or make emulsions as well.

Also, if I understand what you're replacing I wouldn't be too put off by the rubber parts at the base of blender - they're not electronic, just mechanical bits. I've burned through a lot of rubber on my blender and it's still whirring. (And trust me, I'm no electronic wizard.)

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to appliances but I agree with amysarah - blenders and food processors serve two different functions. The blender creates a bit of a vortex which circulates the liquid more effectively than a food processor.

That said, it might come down to what you cook most - if you only use a blender for soups, you probably could get away with the hand blender, and if you need something really smooth you can pass it through a fine mesh strainer.

Indeed that's where your trusty tamis comes in. But yes, the processor and the blender perform different functions with some overlap. That's why they are different machines. I finally broke down and bought the Vitamix last year.

Of course you can blend in a food processor! That's exactly what many recipes call for. It's perfectly fine for most blending tasks.