🔕 🔔

I'm in need of a new immersion blender. W-S is having a sale on the Bamix. Have heard some good things. Comments &/or other suggestions? Thx

asked by phyllis over 5 years ago
C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I've heard really good things about the Bamix as well. People love them. I've also heard that Kitchen Aid makes a good one.

4d625ded d965 42c7 b1ee ec9d7dc7fb4e  profilepic

I have the Bamix - got it as a gift to replace my $25 cheapo from BBB. So far, I'm pretty pleased. It's got 3 attachments: a chopper, a whisker, and a blender/smoother/other task-doer. The chopper is the piece that most resembles the old blender I had, and while I haven't actually used it to chop things, it does a swell job of pureeing soups, dressings, and sauces. The whisk is also great - makes whipped cream in a flash. The third attachment I haven't really figured out, so not much to add there. The cons are that the blender is much heavier than my old one, and thus harder to maneuver. Also, I haven't detected much difference between the two speeds, and I think one speed would have sufficed. That said, overall I'm quite happy.

I looked at the KitchenAid a while back, and indeed, it's pretty nice. The one downside I noticed is that the KitchenAid whisk attachment is literally a whisk, and thus bigger and more annoying to store; the Bamix whisk is a metal disk slightly larger than a quarter, and somehow it makes amazing whipped cream. Go figure.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I'm interested in the answers to this question too. When I stopped by Sur la Table this weekend to look for one as a gift for my brother the saleswoman recommended the Breville--one thing it has that many others don't is a silicone edge so it won't damage pans. I don't have any non-stick, but most people do, and I occasionally worry about chipping the enamel on enameled cast iron.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Cuisinart has an immersion blender with a whisk & chopping attachment... Retails for about 49.00 @ crate & Barrel, eyeing it after my 15 yr old braun blender conks out ( Its still working fabulously!)

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

Thanks all. I bought the Bamix Professional and will report back once I use it. I'm still interested in comments, if anyone here has any.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I am definitely curious how you like it, Phyllis. I've been going back and forth on which to buy for months, or whether to keep using my multistick that sprays everywhere. I don't think I had seen the Breville in earlier pickles on this subject.

Actually, now that I've gotten home and looked at the Amazon reviews, it seems like many people find the Breville underpowered, which worries me as the saleswoman told me it was more powerful than the (cordless) Cuisinart. I, personally have an inherited corded Cuisinart that can currently be picked up for about $30 at many places. The power and blades are strong and sharp enough--it will crush flaxseeds or turn frozen banana into a smooth, creamy texture, but it has a bit too high clearance and whenever I try to make instant mango ice cream (mangy, half and half and cardamom) one piece gets stuck on the bottom, never to be pureed. Also, there is no plug by my stove, so for blend in pot soups it takes a few extra steps and potholders. I'm kind of worried about the power issue with any cordless, so let us know how the Bamix turns out. For what it's worth, Cook's Illustrated ranked the Kalorik stick mixer best, though they didn't test the Bamix.

@prettyPeas: I researched the Kalorik, and was tempted to buy as it is considerably less expensive than the Bamix, but the reviews I read on Amazon and elsewhere convinced me not to. I have 90-days to return the Bamix, used or not, so I'll be testing it out lots in the next few weeks.

I have several outlets near my stove, but I doubt the mixer will reach, so I, too, have to move pots from stove to counter. The counter is easier to clean!!!

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

This question also came up about about a month ago and here were the answers:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

@latoscana: Thanks. I should have checked. I posted there, too.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I have been very happy with my Braun immersion blender, and for quite some time.
That said, I noticed that Cuisinart is selling an immersion blender with an assortment of attachments for a ridiculously low price at Costco. My Braun has a cord, but in all the years I have used it, I have never had a problem, except to occasionally forget that the blades must be submerged under the level of the food to be liquified!