Roasted Red Chili Paste was unrefrigerated but open . Is it safe to eat?

I just made salad dressing with some roasted red chili paste that was opened but unrefrigerated. Is the dressing safe to eat?

asked by mlinda over 6 years ago

If it's similar to Sambal Olek, sure. That stuff has so much acid in it that it's almost bulletproof, so to speak.

mlinda

I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and threw everything out. Thanks for your response.

chef of the future 2000

Too bad - it would have been fine

DJ Dyspeptic

In all likelihood the answer is yes. Check the label of the chili paste. If it does not say "refrigerate after opening" (and most of them don't), then it is not prone to spoilage, and will not have polluted your salad dressing.