blotting pizza

So let me preface by saying that I would never blot the oil off of pizza in public, and I don't think anyone should. Nor would I do it on a more artisanal pie. But I do it in the privacy of my home, well, to make things less fattening, or so I think. I'm wondering whether folks think this actually works. I know this will stir up strong feelings, and I get it. But sometimes, I'm just craving pizza--usually the whole wheat from Whole Foods--I have an undying love for the stuff--and hoping to cut some of the calories.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • June 5, 2012

SKK June 5, 2012

What a fun question! How do you know if you are blotting off oil or liquid? And how do you know the oil hasn't already been absorbed into the crust? I think you should just enjoy it and exercise a little longer.

SKK June 5, 2012

Hi ATG, your profile indicates you are a vegetarian. If you have vegetables and use hard cheeses, not sure where all the fat is coming from.

Summer of Eggplant

I blotted my pizza the other day. I did it mainly because the oil pooling on top compromised the architecture of the slice. I agree with SKK. But I would assume if you are blotting oil you are removing *some* fat and calories but not much. We have to treat ourselves sometimes or we'd go crazy.

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna June 5, 2012

I blot, even in public (as discretely as possible), if the pizza is really greasy. I believe that avoiding a tablespoon of oil is a good thing to do, to avoid extra saturated fats and calories (and stomach upset). I don't like doing it in public, and I don't like using dioxin-bleached napkins to do it, but I do it! I said it.
OK I'm not proud, and Sadassa is a pseudonym!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen June 5, 2012

One of my twin daughters "blots" all the time...it makes me crazy! But I guess that might be why she's just a wispy 37 year old and I'm not! (LOL)

gary12401
gary12401 June 5, 2012

Ted Allen's show " ask the expert" the other day proved that blotting takes fat and calories off a pizza.

heatmatt
heatmatt June 5, 2012

I think blotting isn't meant for pizza. What is the point of eating pizza if you're just going to blot off extra yummy goodness. I have never seen a pizza dripping with greese, perhaps a small pool on top but who cares. That is whole fun of eating pizza, because its bad for you!
Cheese has oil and the only reason you can see it on pizza is because its melted, so if you can eat a chunk of cheese normally why bother with the extra step of blotting, unless you consistently melt cheese, pour off the oil and eat it.

I wonder what other foods these so called blotters blot? If you're worried about calories don't eat the pie! Sheesh

mrslarkin June 5, 2012

I am not a blotter, but I have lots of friends who are, for various reasons. I don't judge. There's a great pizza joint in Stamford, CT, called Colony Grill that serves a Hot Oil Pie drizzled with stinger pepper-infused oil. It's an awesome hot greasy mess. You might not want to go here, as there is a good chance you'll be evicted if caught blotting. ;)

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 6, 2012

MrsLarkin - I cant believe you mentioned Colony! I'm 5 minutes away and I love it - and I'm NOT a big pizza fan! Thin, crispt, hot oil goodness! What a small food52 community!

mrslarkin June 6, 2012

Well then, I think a Colony Grill meet up is in order! What do you think?? It'll be like a food52 blind date of sorts.

Voted the Best Reply!

mrslarkin June 6, 2012

P.S. I am serious about the meet up but totally joking about the blind date. I'm a happily married mother of two. ;)

Benny
Benny June 6, 2012

I'm also but 5 minutes from. Colony in Stamford. Good pizza, I agree. Out Post is another winner.

mrslarkin June 6, 2012

Benny, I will definitely be checking out Outpost Pizza. Never been there.

Colony is in a class by itself. It's different. And delicious.

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 6, 2012

It's a date! Or shall I say " meet up" ? : ) Have either of you been to Post Corner?

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 6, 2012

Off topic but FWIW I dined at Napa & Co. last night. Consistently good food & drink.

mrslarkin June 6, 2012

post corner in Darien?? yes, a million times. love their square pizza.

always passed Napa & Co on the way to work for years, but have never eaten there. Looks real cute. I have heard great things about them.

You guys, you know you're just a hop-skip from my farmers market. I fully expect to see you there sometime. ;) Just make sure to introduce yourselves or I won't know who the heck you are. Maybe use a password or something, like "food52 sent me".

pierino June 5, 2012

So why are you guys buying oily pizzas in the first place? You don't have to go Pizza Hut or one of those greasy NYC by the slice places.

CHeeb
CHeeb June 6, 2012

I once saw Luciano Pavarotti blotting his pizza , and wondered why now ? It made a fond memory for me of him and clearly a mental picture that stays many years later...

allans
allans June 6, 2012

I don't pizza often enough to care about the calories or fat. No blotting here!

Maedl June 6, 2012

If Paarotti, who lost his wispiness a very long time ago, was blotting his pizza, then I can't imagine that the calories absorbed in the napkin make much difference in the long run. Choose your oizza carefully--make sure it is top quality--don't eat it to often but savor every bite without giving it a rub down.

ChefJune June 6, 2012

I find almost all pizzas I can buy have more cheese on them than I like. If you want to cut calories, reduce the amount of cheese you use (or eliminate it altogether!) You'll get more of the other flavors, and you may be surprised how much you like it.

pierino June 6, 2012

In Italy pizza is not typically offered with giant globs of cheese (except to tourists who expect it). Frequently it has none at all, even the pizza alla taglia (the equivalent of by the slice). In America the pizza chains actually boast about how much junk they pile on it. For better or worse kids love pizza, so it's best to get them going on a leaner more authentic version.

amysarah June 6, 2012

I've been known to blot - depends on the source of the excess oil. And it's not just Pizza Hut or the like - sometimes the local 'good' pizza joint hits the spot, even if it delivers a little more grease than you feel like eating. A couple of beers, good company, and nobody is paying attention to your blotting ways.

Sam1148 June 6, 2012

The only time I ever blot a pizza is when I go overboard with olive oil on top, or using super-greasy pepperoni. When I have to do that, I consider it a 'fail' on my part.

meganvt01
meganvt01 June 6, 2012

I say go for it - if it is that greasy - the cheese is probably super salty and flavorful too so you won't be extracting too much flavor. I'm from Maryland and my husband is from New York so we have an ongoing tension over the New York "pizza fold" - I'm appalled when the "pizza fold" becomes a funnel for grease - a direct conduit to the mouth :) so i'd blot on that occasion.

pierino June 6, 2012

It Italy pizza is almost always eaten via knife and fork. Good pizza anyway.

bugbitten
bugbitten June 6, 2012

I don't like to blot, but more than that I hate to drip. If I think I'm going to drip, I'll blot. If I didn't blot and start to drip, I'll stop and blot.

ellenl
ellenl June 7, 2012

I blot in private and in public---if they make my pizza needing to be blotted I have no compunctions whatsoever of making it a bit less unhealthy and messy.

ffiore537
ffiore537 June 7, 2012
BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo June 8, 2012

wiki says* Does blotting pizza really reduce calories?- Yes, it reduces 35 Calories per slice on average (3.5 grams of oil).

bigpan
bigpan June 7, 2012

If you don't want a greasy pizza - don't order it. Simple as that.

amysarah June 8, 2012

True. But you don't always know you're in for an oil slick ahead of time - say you're trying a new place, or an old place that's recently changed hands/chefs, or someone else chooses...despite your best efforts, sometimes grease happens.

pierino June 8, 2012

You can find some of the best pizza in the USA in New York. You can also easily find some of the absolute worst. What's with that orange slime? I can see why you would want to blot that.

Jeannie'sgoodhomecooking

I make my own pizza, using the Jim Lahey method. The best crust EVER! Total control of toppings, so I literally never go out for pie. No blotting necessary! Works for me.