grated cheese amounts

Why don't grated cheese amounts in recipes include a weight?
It would sure help as what type of grater and how much your cheese packs down affect the actual quantity being measured. Weights would provide much more accuracy.

asked by ccinnc about 6 years ago

jbban

hell yes!

Linn

My recipes always do. They get written that way because that is how I cook. Explanations I have gotten when I have asked the question your are asking right now run something like this: Americans are used to the cup and unwilling to switch. I wish Julia Child had used the original metric measures when she wrote her books on French cooking. Had she opened up that topic, we might all be cooking with weight by now ... What a lovely thought!

Benny

I have had this complaint for a long time. Luckily, when exact amounts really count, I have found that the cheese is listed in weights most of the time. Many times, you have a bit of wiggle room and can often add as much as you want to taste. If I'm looking at a recipe that doesn't tell me what I need to know, I'll just find a different one.