Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I'm trying a new recipe. I know that, given the choice, it's always better to use weight rather than volume for measurements. This recipe gives both, but when I measured out the flour by volume and then weighed it, it was only half the amount called for by weight. I went by weight, and got twice the volume. I'm not used to these being off by more than a bit. I'm wondering if one measurement is a mistake.

Can weight and volume be that far off? Maybe she was packing down the flour...

These are called "savory broccoli cakes" but they look like broccoli-cheddar muffins. I'm not sure how loose the batter should be, so I don't think I can go by feel, like I would with a bread. Help!

asked by pixellle about 6 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Baking recipe from hell. It sounds to me like it's a problem with the recipe. Does the recipe give weight first or volume first? Chances are, the first amount was what the recipe writer used, and the second was a calculation. Can you find a similar recipe and do a comparison? I'd hate for you to waste all that wonderful flour, broccoli and cheese on what might turn out to be hockey pucks.

The difference in weight and measurment has always been an issue. Years ago we would sift flour to make it fluffy, measure then tap to settle. Then measure again. My advice is to try the recipe using a recorded method. If it does not work out then try it again using less or more. Cooking is a try and try again experience.
Do it until it is right. Do not get discouraged.

Is the recipe from a non-US source? If so, weight is likely more reliable. Also, if it's a US source that is a home cook, I'd assume volume, but agree with drbabs re: what's first. I also agree it's probably not the most reliable recipe.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I hate weighing ingredients, but it's something I've learned to get used to. Different flours have different weights. I use King Arthur all-purpose unbleached for almost everything I make. On the nutrition label it says that 1 cup = 120 grams, which is about 4.23 ounces. When I scoop and sweep the King Arthur, and then weigh it, it's always way more than that. It's best to play with the recipe and find either a weight or dry measurement that produces a recipe that you are happy with. Check your flour label and see what it says the weight is. Always a good idea to fluff or whisk the flour before measuring. Curious what the recipe is. Can you provide a link to it, or is it from a cookbook/mag?

Thanks for all your responses! The author is from the UK. She listed weight first. However, I decided to use the lesser amount of flour after reading the "hockey puck" comment -- I figured I might go less wrong with too little flour than with too much. I've just taken them out of the oven, and they look OK. Will let you know how they turned out.

The recipe was on Esty, not a site I visit, so I must have gotten there through someone else's link. But the photo of one muffin/cake cut in half to reveal a half a broccoli floweret, looked cute.

Ad2c878a 0bd2 4db9 8cc8 099f8961ce88  broccoli cakes

Here's the link to the recipe:

http://www.etsy.com/storque...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree with the advice you've received so far. There will be a difference in weight v volume between American and European flour. But drbabs is correct in suggesting that it could be a badly written recipe. Also be sure to accurately tare the vessel (cup or bowl) that you will pouring the flour into.

They're good! Buttery and tender and a bit spicy, and a little bit different. I'd definitely go with the lesser flour amount, the volume listed, 1 1/4 cups.

By the way, I didn't scoop and sweep, but used a large spoon to sprinkle the flour to fill the measuring cup, something I've learned as being pretty close to sifting first. Scooping can compact the flour. Of course, I'll scoop and sweep for pancakes, but when I want to be a bit more precise, I'll sprinkle the flour into the measuring cup by serving spoon.

Thanks for all your help! I love the speed of the responses! I've always wanted a cooking-savvy friend I could ask questions of in the thick of things. Now it looks like I've got my wish!

Wow! Those look yummy! I must retract my weight comment. Looks like most flours weigh 120 grams per cup. So it must be how it is sifted that affects how much it weighs. This recipe seems a little wacky with the measurements, though. Since you went by weight and got twice the volume, I'm guessing the flour's weight is incorrect on the recipe. Out of curiosity, I just tested this: when I fluff, scoop and sweep 1 1/4 cups of the King Arthur, I get 158 grams.

So glad you liked them! Yes, you're right about scooping! I fluff, scoop with a flour scooper thingy, and then sprinkle it into the measuring cup, and then sweep. But some people like to scoop straight away. In the end, it's really what method and result you are happiest with. Not sure about anyone else, but when I make a new recipe and it sucks, or if I screw up one of my own, it ruins my day.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

Lady's and gentleman this is where I feel I should point out that paying attention to ratio's and keeping notes of ratio's will help you in the long run. If you start comparing flour to levener you'll see that the ratio in the recipe (not by wieght) but by volume would probably be the same or close to a cookie recipe or a banana bread or another muffin recipe. I'm impressed that pixellle caught this and was able to make a well thought out decision. My point is once you start looking at recipe's and noticing that there is 1 tsp baking powder to less than 2 cups flour with eggs (eggs are also a levener) than next time you look at another recipe and see something wildly different you can say hmmm....I also know that 1 cup of a/p flour should wiegh about 5 oz. ( I don't do metric) These are the things that if you start observing while looking at recipes can help decide if a recipe is wrong with a cursory glance. Just thought I would say...Because not all recipe's are accurate!

Man, that DonnyG sets a pretty high bar here!

First of all-Sorry if my input is too ambitious. I just thought if I could give you this little bit of advise that it my help in the long run with this thing we all share a passion for called cooking -But in terms of wieght VS. Volume.I'm not surevif it's better in terms of small batches. Measuring by wieght can be more accurate but from a commercial point of view the reason why wieght is used primarily is because it makes more sense when measuring large batches of ingredients. Could you imagine measuring out 32 cups of flour rather than just wieghing out ten pounds of flour ?Especially when you know your scoop in the flour bin holds about 2lbs you can get it done in five scoops to the scale. It's just about being effecient. But for small batches it's ok to use volume as long as your using proper methods of obtaining the volume. Just one mans opinion.

Believe me, Donny, that was meant purely as a compliment!

Oh, Thank you!

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

I made these last week! I saw the recipe on Etsy, too.

I used the volume measurement, not the weight. Turned out fine. So go by "cups" not ounces.

Everyone loved them. BUT definitely use pan liners, with all the butter and cheese they turn out a bit greasy. But using paper liners really made a difference; drained the grease away from the muffins.

The picture looks cool but how is it to bite into. I cant imagine that biting into a muffin with a whole flowerette would be pleasing. Seems like smaller pieces would have a better mouth feel to it.

No, it's fine. The broccoli is blanched first then it cooks further, so it's soft and creamy. No crunch to it at all.

I used small florets when I made a batch. It turned out to have a nice mouthfeel and unexpected taste combo (broccoli/cheese/spice).