What's are some savory dish ideas for fresh figs?

Cristina Sciarra
Cristina Sciarra June 16, 2012

Easiest thing would be to slice them, and serve on a cracker or toast with goat cheese or ricotta (and thyme and honey?). You could also fill a tart with the figs, and top with prosciutto. Or, stew them a little, maybe with a dash of Port, and serve with pork chops.

amysarah June 16, 2012

I don't think there's anything better - or easier - than slicing open ripe figs, arranging them on a platter and generously draping them with thinly sliced, really good prosciutto di parma. That's it, you need nothing more (other than maybe a glass of cold prosecco to drink with it.)

hardlikearmour June 16, 2012

I love them on pizza. We commonly make grilled pizza with figs and blue cheese +/- prosciutto or other ham-type meat, then topped with a lightly dressed arugula salad. It's heaven!

pierino June 16, 2012

Prosciutto and fig is a heavenly match of flavors. Jamon serrano would also work very well too. La Quercia is now making really wonderful prosciutto here in the US. Very much worth seeking out. Figs will also match well with parmigiano reggiano topped with a little spoonful of balsamic jelly or an eyedropper amount of high end balsamico (not the supermarket stuff).

bigpan
bigpan June 16, 2012

Cut the base so they sit flat, slice a deep "X" on the top, squeeze open a bit and fill with marscapone. Garnish with finely chopped pistachio and drizzle some good port around the plate (or balsamic glaze).

Dea Henrich
Dea Henrich June 17, 2012

Cut them in half. Put a dollop of good goat cheese in the middle. Wrap the half of fig in a piece of maple bacon. Skewer with tooth pick. Place on a baking sheet, cheese side up. Bake in 425F oven for 20 minutes or until bacon is crisp. You can also make these on the grill, but you will want to pre-cook the bacon until some of the fat renders but it is still flexible enough to wrap around the fig and cheese.