Is there a way to substitute pomegranate molasses with something (or a mixture of somethings) from my pantry? I have sooooo many bottles of oils and vinegars and molasses / honey / nectars...as well as a load of other condiments...I just don't want to buy any more! Got any ideas?

aargersi November 19, 2010

Hmm - pomegrante molasses is way way reduced pomegranet juice, so what about some molasses maybe with balsamic? You could reduce the balsamic way down too and then mix them. So you get thick, gooey, sweet and a little acidity? Just a thought ...

hardlikearmour November 19, 2010

A mix of honey and lemon or honey and balsamic would likely work. Pomegranate molasses is sweet and tart.

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly November 20, 2010

I've used cassis syrup/blackcurrant syrup as a pom molasses substititute in a dip and it came out delicious

Voted the Best Reply!

innoabrd
innoabrd November 21, 2010

Have to say, I think pomegranate molasses is pretty magic and worth buying a bottle of to play with. I learned about it when we lived in Egypt and always keep a bottle around now. Don't use it as much as I used to, but I've thrown it into all kinds of recipes. As Marcella Hazan once said about making a substitution in one of her recipes: it may make a very good risotto, but it won't be THIS risotto.

Suggest you give it a go!

chef of the future 2000

Substitute what you like...it's a recipe not an edict

afaq
afaq May 10, 2012

Dates and Tamarind paste cooked with sugar and vinegar can be used instead of pomegranate molasses.

lisabu
lisabu March 23, 2013

I needed only 2 tsp. and couldn't find it anywhere. So i bought a pint bottle of Pom pure pomegranate juice and boiled it til it looked like molasses. Perfect.

paseo
paseo March 24, 2013

Common sense triumphed, but it is worth buying a bottle when you see it (Cortas is a good one). Keeps a long time in the refrigerator and you will find lots of uses for it once you start. Love it in Prosecco or another bubbly.

Gundega Korsts
Gundega Korsts August 1, 2014

I had pomegranate seeds in the freezer, so crushed them into some boiled cider (from King Arthur), which is like apple molasses.