🔕 🔔

Can I sub buckwheat honey for molasses?

My beekeeper friend gave me a jar of buckwheat honey that I don't want to waste. Ideas?

asked by MetroVM 4 months ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Buckwheat honey has a very pronounced flavor; taste before deciding about its use in a given application.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Don't sub it for molasses -- they're not that similar and molasses is A LOT cheaper.
I mostly eat buckwheat honey with butter and salt on toast. I've never been willing to sacrifice a whole jar to this recipe for almond-honey squares, but I have had the product and it is delicious: http://www.davidlebovitz...

Fe30e51a 9e41 4007 93f5 f8b0a3545f25  fb avatar

Honey and molasses do not at all act the same in baking. Honey's natural enzymes denature protein. Molasses is sugar, cooked down. While I agree that the flavour profiles are similar, substituting is a bad idea.