Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

My granddaughter just found out she's lactose intolerant, and I want to still bake something for Thanksgiving. Can I use soy milk instead of milk? Or is there another alternative?

asked by KarenO about 6 years ago
22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Depends on what you are baking. In general though, lactose-intolerant people can usually drink soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc.

You should check out The Divvies Bakery Cookbook for great allergen-free baking ideas: http://us.macmillan.com...

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You could use Lactaid milk instead of regular milk. You can't really tell the difference, especially in baked goods.

I've used rice or soy milk in all my baking for ages and they work just fine. If she's allergic you may have to use vegetable shortening instead of butter as well.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

It definitely depends on what you're making, but generally you can substitute soymilk for regular milk in most things without a problem. Most soymilk is sweetened, so watch how much sugar you're adding or things will turn out sweeter than you meant. If you're making something savory, try to use unsweetened soymilk, or at least a plain variety; don't use vanilla-flavored soymilk as it tends to be extra sweet.

See my recipe for cranberry bread here. It's gluten-free and dairy-free and I use plain soymilk in it:
http://beyondcelery.blogspot...

Quiche or other custard-like fillings can usually be made with soymilk. They tend to turn out better with the addition of an extra egg to help it set up. I add cornstarch (about 1-3tsp) to homemade pudding and it sets just fine with soymilk.

For baking savory items, use unsweetened soy milk. If baking sweets, Lactaid milk works great; it tastes sweet, so I usually cut back on the sugar a bit. If the recipe calls for buttermilk, add 1 TB of vinegar per cup of either milk mentioned above. Depending on the recipe, coconut milk works too. Adds another flavor dimension.