recipe for vitello tonnato?

asked by ECP about 6 years ago

Nozlee Samadzadeh

You should try this recipe from our archives!

http://food52.com/recipes...

One of my all time favorites! Over the years, I've tweaked a bit, but the basic recipe I use if Marcella Hazan's from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. It's pretty perfect. If you don't have the cookbook, a quick Google turned it up online: http://www.cooking.com...

The interesting thing about the traditional vitello tonnato is that the meat is poached and served cold with the tuna sauce. The poaching gives it sort of a gray color but don't be put off by that. I believe the original comes from Milano or somewhere nearby in Lombardia.

alienor

we had this at the home of my husband's graduate student's family in milano. to lower the cost mama used sliced turkey breast. it seemed to me as good as veal, much cheaper and appeals to those who are against eating baby calf. try it as it really is a good substitute

lloreen

I second the recommendation for Marcella Hazan's recipe. It is a bit time consuming, but well worth the effort. The sauce is best if you let it mellow in the fridge overnight.