What to make with vanilla sugar

Reiney
Reiney June 20, 2012

You can use vanilla sugar in place of regular white sugar in just about anything. It can come out with a very strong vanilla taste, though, so cut back on or don't use extract/beans in a recipe. This weekend I made a simple syrup out of vanilla sugar, ginger and kaffir lime and the vanilla completely overwhelmed the other ingredients!

It's also good for things like: porridge, bruleeing fruit, cocktail syrup, making caramels, etc.

Side note: don't buy it, just start making it with the dried discarded vanilla beans you accumulate. Store the beans with sugar in a glass jar and top up white sugar/beans as necessary.

Diana B
Diana B June 20, 2012

I made a fruit galette last week with vanilla sugar in the dough and sprinkled on the top before baking. The main fruit I used was peaches, which go so well with vanilla - it was out of this world!

DeborahBetty
DeborahBetty March 3, 2017

Been caught without in my pantry. I tried putting fresh beans (2) & 3 cups of sugar in blender. Giving it a whirl then letting it sit for several hours before using. Seems to work ok when in a bind.