🔕 🔔

What to make with vanilla sugar

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can use vanilla sugar in place of regular white sugar in just about anything. It can come out with a very strong vanilla taste, though, so cut back on or don't use extract/beans in a recipe. This weekend I made a simple syrup out of vanilla sugar, ginger and kaffir lime and the vanilla completely overwhelmed the other ingredients!

It's also good for things like: porridge, bruleeing fruit, cocktail syrup, making caramels, etc.

Side note: don't buy it, just start making it with the dried discarded vanilla beans you accumulate. Store the beans with sugar in a glass jar and top up white sugar/beans as necessary.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I made a fruit galette last week with vanilla sugar in the dough and sprinkled on the top before baking. The main fruit I used was peaches, which go so well with vanilla - it was out of this world!

A479f3f3 cd8b 4b86 837c 0c2f1a9a592e  dsc 0342

Been caught without in my pantry. I tried putting fresh beans (2) & 3 cups of sugar in blender. Giving it a whirl then letting it sit for several hours before using. Seems to work ok when in a bind.