🔕 🔔

Vanilla Bean

Hello Everybody, I want to give a demonstration to a class on how to cut open a vanilla bean and scrape the seeds out. I also want to show everyone how to use the leftover pod to make vanilla sugar and vanilla extract. I am pretty sure several in the class do not use alcohol for religious reasons. Is there another liquid that can be used for this? I read in an answer here that cream was a good way to extract the flavour but that would not be a good way to store it, no preservative power in cream. Also, does anyone have a simple recipe for something I could make and hand out to the class to demonstrate the clearly superior flavour of vanilla bean over extract?

asked by Michelle 2 months ago

C4950803 7ae7 4d2a 9c91 ff8b856fe028  dscf0339

check out this site for a non-alcohol based extract using glycerin :https://www.smallfootprintfamily...

I'd make vanilla mini cupcakes. I'd make cupcake project's ultimate vanilla version.

This is great, thank you so much! I've never heard of the cupcake project but that is a great idea.

Preserve vanilla bean in apple cider vinegar (many recipes out there).
Pure extract is fine in many baking and cooking situations.
Vanilla bean shines when it is a dominant flavor - consider making vanilla ice cream or panna cotta.

Thank you very much, I had no idea you could use apple cider vinegar but it makes sense. I know pure extract is fine and often preferable to vanilla bean but I just wanted to show the bean.