Vanilla Bean

Hello Everybody, I want to give a demonstration to a class on how to cut open a vanilla bean and scrape the seeds out. I also want to show everyone how to use the leftover pod to make vanilla sugar and vanilla extract. I am pretty sure several in the class do not use alcohol for religious reasons. Is there another liquid that can be used for this? I read in an answer here that cream was a good way to extract the flavour but that would not be a good way to store it, no preservative power in cream. Also, does anyone have a simple recipe for something I could make and hand out to the class to demonstrate the clearly superior flavour of vanilla bean over extract?

• Posted by: Michelle
  • September 13, 2017

Rachelwrites
Rachelwrites September 13, 2017

check out this site for a non-alcohol based extract using glycerin :https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-to-make-vanilla-extract

I'd make vanilla mini cupcakes. I'd make cupcake project's ultimate vanilla version.

Michelle
Michelle September 13, 2017

This is great, thank you so much! I've never heard of the cupcake project but that is a great idea.

Nancy September 13, 2017

Preserve vanilla bean in apple cider vinegar (many recipes out there).
Pure extract is fine in many baking and cooking situations.
Vanilla bean shines when it is a dominant flavor - consider making vanilla ice cream or panna cotta.

Michelle
Michelle September 13, 2017

Thank you very much, I had no idea you could use apple cider vinegar but it makes sense. I know pure extract is fine and often preferable to vanilla bean but I just wanted to show the bean.