Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

I just got a free (but tiny) whole chicken from the health food store: 1-1/2 pounds. Since it was free, I'm not knocking it, but I've never seen a whole chicken that small. Do I just reduce the cooking time & roast it like a normal sized chicken, or would you recommend something else?

asked by Phoenix Helix almost 6 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Yes, that's exactly what you do, just watch your cooking time. It seems like there are a lot of new, smaller breeds hitting the market. Has anyone else noticed that?

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Most likely its a poussin, which is just baby chicken. There are several ways you do it. If you can fit a whole lemon inside, prick the lemon all over. Salt the cavity and add fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme stuff the lemon inside and tie up the legs. Roast.
Alternatively you can spatchcock it. That was featured here recently. You will need some shears to remove the backbone.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I'd say brine it, spatchcock it and grill it.

ditto w/kayb- But if you don't have a grill, on a sheet pan will do as well. Allthough I sometimes like to "not" brine because I like a cripsy skin and sometimes can be hard to achieve after brining. I worked in a small french bistro many years back where I learned to cook whole spring chickens the way the chef wanted them done. And to this day still enjoy them best this way. We seasoned all of our chickens well and a day in advance and then cooked them at a very high heat (450F) for at least 25 min and then would put them in the lower oven (350F) for 40 min or longer to finish ( taking size and time into account). My wife likes chicken a little more cooked than I do so at 350F for an hour to get it to fall off the bone. But the result is a nice crispy skin. Also, for the Thomas Kellar fans... He recommends cooking well seasoned chicken at 450F or 500F for 45 min. Or at least thats what I saw in a video somewhere. The nice thing about spatchcocking is that you not only have the neck but the back as well to make a small batch of sauce with. YuMMM!!!!

Spatchcock is a good way to go, and you will be surprised how short a cooking time this little guy takes to get cookedclear through and crispy-skinned. That's why I suggest using your digital probe thermometer, so you don't overcook it. I like to season spatchcocked chicken under the skin. A pesto-y misture of basil, garlic and olive oil, along with salt and pepper results in a tasty bird.

ChefJune- love the basil, garlic, olive oil idea. This is what my mother used to to do.

I'd make a chicken in a pot or chicken soup wth it. Simmered in a pot, covered with water and some vegs, it'll take no time at all to cook, and you'll have the liquid as a safetly measure for overcooking.

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Thanks everyone! I'll be cooking this little fella this weekend & will let you know the results.

Hi everyone. I spatchcocked & braised, using Amanda's recipe:
My oven was in use (I'm slow roasting some of AntoniaJames nuts), so I cooked the chicken completely on the stovetop. No crispy skin, but the meat was juicy & full of flavor.