🔕 🔔

pork loin roast

I have a pork loin roast in my freezer. I've searched for recipes and just can't figure out what to do with it. I don't have a slow cooker. I'd prefer an outdoor method. Thank you for any suggestions.

asked by pagesinthesun over 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

The best way to get juicy pork is to first brine it. This takes 8-12 hours, but is worth the time. After the brining process, pat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Put over direct heat to sear the outside of the pork. Then move to indirect heat for about 60-80 minutes until pork registers 150-160, this will slightly pink in the center.
Ingredients and Directions for Making the Brine:
4 – 5 pound pork loin roast
6 cups hot water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 Bay leaves
1 handful of peppercorns
4 sprigs of thyme
2 sprigs of rosemary

1.Combine the brown sugar and salt in the water.
2.Stir until dissolved and then add the rest of the brine ingredients.
3.Once the solution has completely cooled, add the pork loin roast and brine solution to a Ziplock type bag. Seal and squeeze out as much air as possible.
6.Put the sealed bag with the now brining pork roast into a pot or large bowl, one that can hold all of the liquid in case something happens to the bag. Place the bowl containing the brining meat into a refrigerator for at least 8-12 hours.

Sorry, but 160F is waaayyy too high. Not even the USDA wants you to do that anymore. 140 is about right when tested with an instant read probe. Remove to a platter, tent with aluminum foil and let rest 10-15 minutes. Carve and serve.

You can give it a basic BBQ rub and grill it. Make sure you don't overcook it, it should come just shy of 145F and let it rest and the temp will rise a few degrees. I used to slather mine with a homemade peach and honey mustard in the oven and top with bread crumbs. You might like to use a peach mustard glaze, that's a great flavor combo with the pork. Combine peach jam with Dijon mustard and honey and brush that on the pork (cook over indirect heat.) You might like to grill some peach halves alongside and brush with the same glaze.

Rosemary and fennel in combination are great herbs for pork loin. Don't forget the garlic and the sea salt. I use an internal brine as opposed to the long soak method, but you will need an injector for that. This works well with meat that's cooked outside (especially if you are using real wood charcoal and not those sissy Kingsford briquettes packed with accelerants). Cooking time depends on the heat of your fire and internal cooking temperature. Cook it with the lid closed and don't be tempted to keep flipping it over.

267f6443 2472 468a a155 f12ce11e90b5  buddha0011

Hi pagesinthesun
I just posted a rub using fennel seed and garlic that is perfect for a pork loin. See hotline answers for use of fennel seed. And 140 is the optimal doneness for pork!