🔕 🔔

Can Food52 offer tips for taking beautiful pictures of food?

As I look through contest entries, I'm struck by the almost unfair contrast between entries that benefit from a flattering photograph of the dish and those that...ahem, don't. I realize food photography is an art, but are there any tips for beginners who just want their food to not look horrible in photographs? I'm guessing many people who enter the contests would appreciate this advice!

asked by Salt Tooth over 5 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Funny you should ask...Definitely come check out the site tomorrow -- think you'll be happily surprised!

Here's my tip...get as close and personal as you need to! There are so many times when one half of a cupcake looks pristine and the rest is just meh, right? So angle it and use or lose the flash on your camera phone and play up the one side's strength.

E146b6b0 cc67 45c3 b1b7 0cb7d4bfdce3  face

I think by far the best way is to use an app like Instagram to bring out the colours in a nice way. CHeck out Uyen Luu's Instagram for inspiration: http://web.stagram.com...

Tom Hirschfeld did a great feature a while back on tips for photographing food:
http://food52.com/blog...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I do not use flash...just as much room light as required. Flash tends to make the picture overly "hot" white and reflects off glasses etc. Photoshop using crop and remove and unwanted shadow. Try not to play with color as it not only affects the product, but also the background. Photoshop gives you more options than a free product like Picassa.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I admit to being a terrible photographer, but I found this ebook that you might be interested in: http://pinchofyum.com/tasty...