Food processor vs food mill

A recipe for blueberry jam I have stars to run the berries through a food mill. Problem: I don't have a food mill. Can I just whiz them in my food processor instead?

ktr
ktr July 16, 2015

You can but you will end up with a more textured jam than if you used a food mill.

lem monade
lem monade July 17, 2015

If you do want the same silky smooth (and seedless!) texture you would get from a food mill, you can pass the blueberries through a fine mesh sieve after having puréed them in the food processor.

lpowell89
lpowell89 July 17, 2015

A food mill will remove the seeds and skin for you, basically straining the jam as you "process" the berries. If you have a China cap or mesh strainer, I would push the berries through it using a laddle after the food processor to remove the skin and seeds.

SKK July 17, 2015

Food mills are inexpensive and an amazing addition to a kitchen. The food processor will not take the 'skins' away.