2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

Is it safe to make chutney in a Mauviel copper preserves pan? I wonder about the acidity reacting with the unlined copper. ;o)

But then, I wonder if the amount of sugar used in the chutney might make a difference. I made a blueberry chutney the other day that had a fair bit of vinegar, but also quite a lot of sugar, for a chutney, that is. (It seemed almost like a sharp jam, when all was said and done.) What do you think? Thanks, everyone. ;o)

Chutney should be made in a nonreactive pan.

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

I agree that you could be risking both your chutney and a fine pan. It may not happen right away, but think of those blue-green stains you seen in sinks -- thanks to small amounts of acid in the water supply flowing through the copper pipes.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

It doesn’t take much acidity to leach copper from the pot. Or salt for that matter.

http://www.finedininglovers...

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.