🔕 🔔

What to do with a lot of very good blueberry jam?

I was the recipient of a lot of very good blueberry jam and I'm worried it's going to go bad before I can use it all up (though I know I could freeze it!). Was thinking of making this cake—https://food52.com/recipes... would love other suggestions!

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked over 1 year ago

Last night I made a 50-50% mix of whipped cream/greek yogurt (just whip it all together, the yogurt whips up great), lightly sweetened and served it layered in pretty glasses with a blackcurrant jam spooned in. It's simple but really showcases the jam while being not too heavy.

Yes, just mixing it with plain Fage yogurt is great. An improvement over the "fruit at the bottom" varieties.

I made Kim Boyce's Rye Crumb Bars from her book Good to the Grain. They were delicious and used 1 1/2 cups of jam. You can find the recipe on Molly Wizenberg's website, Orangette.

012dfbd1 43d9 417a ae27 f5cd7f65b8fe  img 0736

I've made the cake with blueberry jam, and it's become a family favorite. I freeze the jam instead if canning, and that works well. You can use some of the jam now, as in the cake, and freeze some for later (as in more cake, or whatever you want). I've also used it for yoghurt parfaits (layered along with fresh blueberries).

To add to this, one of my favorite cakes is a double-layer sponge cake with blueberry jam between the layers and fresh vanilla whipped cream on top (nothing on the sides). It's perfect for summer, and uses a decent amount of jam.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I mix a tablespoon with red wine vinegar for a light and fruity salad dressing. Also, I enjoy eating it with peanut butter instead of grape jelly on a sandwich.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I often add a layer of jam to breakfast corn muffins - berry is especially compatible. Just fill muffin cups halfway, add a dollop of jam, then the rest of the batter.

When my kids were little and partial jars of jam were always lurking in the fridge, I often made Nigella Lawson's Jam Crostata (my kids called it Jammy Tart) using whatever flavor, or mixture of flavors, were around. Very easy. It's made in a tart pan, but not a classic crostata - more of a cakey base/jam filling. Here's an online American-measure adaption - just sub blueberry. I usually use lemon zest and blueberries love lemons: http://honestcooking.com...

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

A giant Italian crostata, double dose of short crust pastry and any jam.

2fe2b5d2 3306 4032 acfc 7306013d6f87  peach crostata 5

Sometimes making adjustments in texture or temperature, use the jam in or on
smoothies or milkshakes
vanilla ice cream as a sauce
baked tart shell
cakes, as a between-layers filling
pavlova
Eaton Mess or strawberry fool (instead of the strawberries),
ice cream parfait or banana split

PS On top of cheesecake, instead of other fruit topping

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

When we were kids our mom would spread cream cheese on saltines and add jam...blueberry would be delicious! Use it on a pork roast, make a syrup out of it for ice cream topping, mix it with fresh peaches and serve it over pound cake.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

A blueberry version of my grandmothers crumb bars: https://food52.com/recipes...

817a2e06 428e 44b9 bd8f 2e068393bb4e  stringio

Roasted fruits and mascarpone: Take some fruits such as berries, peaches or rhubarb (pre-cook the rhubarb) and place in a baking dish. Whisk a 4-5 tablespoons of mascarpone with 1-2 tbsp of 35% cream (use more mascarpone then cream.The mixture should not be liquid). Spread on top of the fruits and bake/roast in the oven for a 12-15 minutes. Then top your dish with the jam.The heroes of the dish are the fruits and the jam, so make sure you don't overload this desert with mascarpone

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Just stir it into some warm oatmeal for breakfast...... or wait a minute, forget the oatmeal, why not mix it into some oatmeal cookie batter instead of using raisins . Blueberry jam oatmeal cookies (patent pending)

Add a dollop of it to a pan sauce for any beef, game, lamb, or duck. My former neighbors taught me this trick.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Sarah, I want to update my answer, oatmeal THUMBPRINT cookies.

05c09387 58ea 45a9 b966 e2c920bab90c  otmljam1kr2

4caa0af8 566e 43ab 992b 57e8725a8b1a  joey

Use it for dressing a seared duck breast. Blueberries are my favorite accompaniment to duck and this sounds like it'd be a great use for it. Melt it in a saucepan over low heat and add a bit of champagne vinegar for a bit of tartness to balance the sweet before spooning over top of a seared sliced duck breast.

spoon some over pancakes or waffles.