🔕 🔔

Does anyone know if the type of sugar makes a difference when making the sugar syrup to coat the bottom of a flan pan?

I've made it several times perfectly when boiling 1:1 regular white sugar to water, but when using a new brand of organic sugar (that wasn't white but still fine) it seemed to go from still too watery to solidifying chunks of sugar.

asked by Dianaba almost 6 years ago

I mahe flan a LOT and I always use white sugar - it melts and then caramelizes just right. I don't think other varieties would work as well in terms of creating a caramel that is deep golden and sets up before your pour the custard over