🔕 🔔

My water turned bright red!

I was blanching veggies for my pasta dish last night - first fava beans, then fresh peas. After I took them out the water was fine, I turned off the heat for a few minutes until I was ready to cook the pasta and when I came back to the pot 5 minutes later, the water was bright red! I've blanched veggies many times and never had that happen. Does anyone have an idea what might have happened?

asked by nouveauchef over 4 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

It's the favas beans. Don't worry it's not toxic and perfectly safe to cook your pasta in.

Cfec2cac a1c7 421e 946c c1c4f8c050b4  fresh figs

Thanks - I just talked to a local chef and he said it was because I had waited and reboiled the water. The chlorophyll from the favas and peas oxidized and caused the red color. I may just try to use this as my next party trick! My kids will love it.