My water turned bright red!

I was blanching veggies for my pasta dish last night - first fava beans, then fresh peas. After I took them out the water was fine, I turned off the heat for a few minutes until I was ready to cook the pasta and when I came back to the pot 5 minutes later, the water was bright red! I've blanched veggies many times and never had that happen. Does anyone have an idea what might have happened?

asked by nouveauchef over 6 years ago

It's the favas beans. Don't worry it's not toxic and perfectly safe to cook your pasta in.

nouveauchef

Thanks - I just talked to a local chef and he said it was because I had waited and reboiled the water. The chlorophyll from the favas and peas oxidized and caused the red color. I may just try to use this as my next party trick! My kids will love it.