Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Amanda, your fave Almond cake - gluten-free?

Hi Amanda, really enjoyed your appearance in Seattle a while back
I am reading through Mr. Latte and would love to make your Almond cake. I was wondering if it would work to make it gluten-free by substituing flour and almond paste with almond flour? Any thoughts?

asked by chaika over 4 years ago
Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Chaika - There are a number of gluten-free cooks who frequent this site. Maybe if you could provide more information on the recipe we could help (I'm not familiar with it)? Off hand, you probably won't get the results you want -- especially on a cake (unless the cake is supposed to be really dense, which if it has almond paste, maybe it is?) -- with a direct AP flour to alternative flour replacement. You can try your suggestion, and see what happens, but I'll guess that it will probably crumble and fall apart (as well as be flat) more than you want. You could try substituting the almond flour for the AP flour, keep the almond paste, and add a small amount of xantham gum. Depending on the rest of the recipe and what you are trying to achieve, you may find that an extra egg or a little mayo also helps.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I haven't tried it with almond flour, so I'm not sure. But there's so much almond paste, eggs and sour cream, I'd be concerned that almond flour wouldn't be able to hold them together and it might be too dense.