Midge

Thank you for asking this Peter! I plan on making this for Thanksgiving and was wondering the exact same thing as one of our little guests has a nut allergy. Looking forward to hearing the scoop.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Your deduction is correct. Almond flour is very high in fat and the tapioca starch works to balance this within the context of all the other ingredients' fat and hydration properties. Clafouti is basically a crepe baked thick. But because a clafouti needs less structure (because one is eating it out of a dish), it's quite easy to make it Gluten Free.