Stellar Almond Flour (GF) pancake recipe?

Plow in San Francisco makes fantastic 2D4 almond flour pancakes. And yep, they are gluten free. I have tried a few different recipes, even on FOOD52. Not even close. Their pancakes are not the slightest bit gritty. I used a commercially ground almond flour, and mine were gritty. Any suggestions?

asked by monica almost 3 years ago

It's quite possible that Chow is filtering their batter with a chinois étamine before they cook the pancakes.

Here's a picture of one:

http://www.hellopro.fr...

I know professional chefs often use this for filtering batters, sauces, stocks to provide a smoother texture.

Oops, Plow, not Chow. Anyhow, lots of professional cooks use the chinois étamine.

In any case, I suggest you try whatever recipe you are using and filter your batter. I don't have a chinois étamine myself (I keep balking on the purchase), but I have a strainer that is about as fine as one, so I use that when I need to filter out small particles.

I've used chinois étamines in other people's kitchens, very nice tool for sure, understandable why French chefs use this thing a lot.

monica

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a chinois étamine, and I will give it a try!