Julia Child's 100th birthday next month,

What would be your dinner party menu to celebrate her 100th birthday?

susan g July 1, 2012

Back to the books for this one! I know it would have to include the garlic mashed potatoes. We watched the original TV series, my mother got the first Mastering volume, and knocked dinner guests out of their comfort zones with that one, including my new in-laws!

Voted the Best Reply!

petitbleu
petitbleu July 1, 2012

Bouillabaisse, crusty French bread, and the marvelous Reine de Saba cake. All other food personalities pale in comparison to dear Julia. My hero!

Stagething
Stagething July 1, 2012

Although Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon got Mastering the Art of French Cooking published, my go-to mains from her are her fantastic souffles. They are dramatic enough to celebrate a milestone birthday, but deceptively simple through her thorough instructions. And I agree, the menu should definitely finish with the Reine de Saba cake. And as Julia would often say on her early shows, pair it with a dry Reisling or Rose. Cheers, Julia!

Sam1148 July 1, 2012

French onion soup. Although it's a bit hot for that now and it's really more a main course for me.

How about onion tart. Pissaladière as an appetizer.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell July 1, 2012

My husband gave me a first edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking as a wedding present. Tonight we made the basic moules recipe for my dad and we toasted Julia so I'd call that our nod to her birthday. Not the fanciest or most complicated recipe of Julia's but it made us all happy tonight and I think she'd appreciate that.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo July 2, 2012

I think lorigoldsby's question deserves some pondering. While I can see that petitbleu has given a great answer, it is very irritating to see it has been Voted Best Answer before many of us have even seen the question. Only posted 16 hours ago.

ChefJune July 2, 2012

We'll be celebrating the weekend beforehand, probably with roast chicken. Boeuf Bourguignon would actually be my choice, but not mid-August!

ChefJune July 2, 2012

Oh, and scallops with brandade de Morue. Julia LOVED that!

Pegeen July 2, 2012

Yes - Brandade de Morue on toasts as one of the appetizers. What a great dish.