Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Why does organic food taste so good?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 4 years ago

I mostly agree with Benny. Organic food for the most part tastes exactly like it's conventional sister. Even for the exceptions (strawberries, raspberries, probably some other delicate veggies), the ones that come out of my garden taste better because I can pick them when they are ripe rather than when they will ship best.

The reason organic tastes so good is because things that cost more rate higher in our minds. People like the same wine more if they're told it costs $100 a bottle than if they're told it's $9 a bottle, even if the wines are being tasted against themselves.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Sustainable food, not hybrids made for the purpose of long haul with chemicals to ripen it and turn it just the right color for the stores taste so much better. Any meat that does not come from big ag but from a rancher who is using sustainable practices tastes superior.

Here is a study from Washington State University: (I live in Washington State)
" The more intense flavors in organic fruits and vegetables probably stem from two factors: somewhat higher average levels of antioxidants, and somewhat lower average crop yields. Yield levels, and the availability of nitrogen to crops, clearly can alter both nutritional and organoleptic quality...high yields achieved today in some fruit and vegetable crops have likely come at the expense of crop nutritional and organoleptic quality." http://www.organic-center...

The study goes on to point out that organic foods last longer and are packed with nutrients.

Also sustainable and/or organic growing and farming makes excellent dirt. And great tasting food comes from great dirt, that is proven. It is all about the dirt.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Define "Organic" even the FDA can't.

On the subject of definition, I have seen "organic salt" which is a contradiction in terms! Salt is an inorganic compound.
My favorite observation, "if a food has to advertise that is healthy, it probably isn't" I am not sure to whom to attribute that, but I really like it.

I think that was Micheal Pollan in "In Defense of Food".

He did make great points there in that book about "Nutristionist" ...but then again Woody Allen did it better in "Sleeper" when he woke up and wanted Tofu and Tiger Milk...and the doctors gave him a steak and a smoke. "every thing you thought was bad for you, is good for you".
Which is kinda true: Whipped margarine was 'good' butter was 'bad".

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

If you exclude fruits and vegetables bred specifically for shipping, like tasteless tomatoes and wooden strawberries, I think there is little difference in taste between organic and nonorganic. The big difference is in freshness and ripeness, which usually means the best produce has traveled the least. I've had an organic garden for almost forty years, and I can say with assurance that a just-dug new potato bears not the slightest resemblance, taste-wise, to the ones in the sack at the supermarket. Another factor is that organic growers often grow varieties that are not as standard as supermarket produce. Tomatoes are a good example; you won't find delicious Prudens Purples, Juliets, Jetstars, German Stripeds, Garden Peaches, Zebras, etc. etc at your Walmart superstore. There is a whole world out there, even a world beyond the Brandywine. Everyone knows of Yukon Gold potatoes, but what of German Butterballs, Satinas, Keukas, Adirondack Reds, etc. etc. A carrot is a carrot, unless you're deciding which is better, a Nelson, a Bolero, a Hercules, a Nectar.