🔕 🔔

How do you prepare sunchokes?

asked by Lesley11 about 5 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Roasted is good.

If you're worried about gas, there's a great chapter on them in Harold McGee's The Curious Cook, Chapter 5: Taking the Wind Out of the Sunroot (Making the Jerusalem artichoke more digestible). Very long slow, covered, cooking, like 24 hours long at 300, is one method he suggests. Or slicing them very thin and dry roasted at 200 is another.

959cbed1 6d53 423b a801 4cdce9613645  open uri.13930

I have to laugh at Mr. McGee's 24 hour suggestion! My power bill would be crazy! (I guess since he has a kitchen that he doesn't personally pay for he has that option) That doesn't seem like a good option to me. But, the second option seems more doable. I just cook them like potatoes (steam or boil) par-cook, saute and glaze....

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

There are a number of good recipes on Food2 -- put "sunchoke" in the search box at the top of the page, with recipe noted. Also, this issue has come up a few times before, so you might want to also search "sunchoke" for the hotline.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

It makes beautiful soup.