Anyone know a good recipe for sunchoke puree?

hardlikearmour April 10, 2011

There's a nice one at epicurious http://www.epicurious.com...
It has 2.5 lbs of sunchokes with 2 cups heavy cream. Peel and cut the sunchokes into 1/2-inch cubes. Put them in water to prevent browning. When done drain and add them to a saucepan with 2 cups cream. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until tender & almost all liquid absorbed - about 25 minutes, add water by the tablespoon if needed. Puree in food processor and season with salt and pepper.

Shannon
Shannon April 11, 2011

My experience has been that you can prepare sunchokes in almost the same way as you deal with potatoes. Also, you may not need to peel them, depending on the thickness of the skin. Last fall at our market, a farmer told me that the sunchokes harvested in the spring have very thick skins, because they've been in the ground all winter, but those from fall harvests have thinner skins.

innoabrd
innoabrd April 11, 2011

I'd consider roasting them and then pureeing. They roast beautifully. A note of caution, however, if you're thinking of doing them for guests: they give many, myself included, terrible gas!

aacolman
aacolman April 11, 2011

Thank you for the answers, i will try two methods; roast and boil.
I will let you know what i think works best.

BTW - I had it the other with a scallop dish and it was delicious.