🔕 🔔

Pork belly not crisping

I braised a few days back as per Ruhlmans Twenty and am searing/browning for dinner now, using an enameled cast iron pan which I am only somewhat experienced at. I did a test with 2 pieces of belly and even before I added the glaze the skin/fat side was sticking badly to the pan. Used the small amt of oil as noted, and even when the pork was browned/ready, the skin was rubbery.
Not hot enough? Too much oil? Save dinner if you can. Besides that it was delicious, but I need that pork skin!

asked by Jason Twomey over 5 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Put under a hot broiler for a minute or two .
Keep an eye on it.

E5e924d5 d6f6 4f93 aab3 c7e324adeb00  2016 04 15 12 28 53

Thanks. Still a no go. I must have altered it during the braising somehow. Tried the broiler for 4-5 minutes and still soft and mushy skin. Another mystery, but I'll try it again.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Try putting a little water in the pan. Are you cooking it at high heat then lowering to s medium heat?

With regards to original post, was med high as recipe called for. Didn't try putting water in pan, but I could next time. Thanks. Looks like the thick layer of fat under the skin insulated it from crisping. Not really sure.

Brush the skin with some vinegar, white or rice wine and stick under the broiler. It helps the skin to crisp up. The vinegar will evaporate and there is no vinegary flavor left.