Pork chops braise covered or uncovered?

I'm braising pork chops (pre-seared) for an hour at 300 F. Recipe doesn't say to cover or leave uncovered. Any guesses

asked by LittleMissMuffin almost 3 years ago

Cav
Cav

Braising in a covered pot will raise the temperature at which the meat cooks. As the recipe is calling for you to braise a normally lean cut, the chop, that has already been hit with high heat, at 300 degrees, which is well above boiling point, I'd not cover the pot. Otherwise you're running the risk of drying the chop out. I'd also drop the temperature by 100 degrees, looking to reduce the braising liquid on stove top whilst chop is resting.

I have to disagree. The definition of a braise is to fry it first (the sear) then cooking, in low heat, in a covered pot with a little bit of liquid to finish. Cover and finish at 300F.

Cav
Cav

Yes, that's how a braise is defined (with the liquid becoming the sauce). Doesn't mean that you should braise a chop though, and certainly doesn't mean you should boil a chop Which is what a covered pot at 300f would result in. As Harold McGee says (P.264 Keys to Good Cooking):

"Many braise and stew recipes call for temperatures near the boiling point, which will badly dry out all but the fattiest or most gelatinous cuts of meat.

Beware of recipes that call for an oven temperature over 180f / 80c. "

Pork chops really need to be double thick to braise well. If they're thin cut, they run the risk of drying out.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Certain pork chops (such as rib and shoulder) can braise beautifully if watched closely. As I would do with chicken hind-quarters, braise them, uncovered absolutely. Often with a braise, the liquid is meant to reduce and become a sauce for the dish. I would QUICKLY sear them in a shallow pan (you don't want to actually cook them), remove them, build your braising liquid in that same pan and braise just until they fall apart. As long as your chops have a enough connective tissue and a healthy fat content, you'll be fine.