🔕 🔔

What to substitute for sherry?

asked by Kirsten,Sheehan almost 6 years ago

For drinking or for cooking? If for cooking, what are you cooking?

Oh cool! I have vermouth. I'm Sauteeing some mushrooms for a quiche. The recipe called for sherry. Thanks!

Ea2fede5 db69 4f9c b6a5 c70c27497ae9  dsc 0002 2

Make sure it is sweet vermouth! The stuff for Manhattans, not dry vermouth, the stuff for Martinis. For quiche mushrooms, you could deglaze with any wine, brandy or even stock, though the flavor profile will be different.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Actually, I would go with white (dry) vermouth as the red vermouth will be too sweet . But, if you want sweet, use red vermouth, rube sherry, or port.
Using white vermouth will allow you to adjust the flavor and sweetness. Once it is too sweet you have a bigger problem.
Although a bit rare, there is white port which is more dry than sweet. Nice with cheese for dessert too.