🔕 🔔

Should you peel and devein shrimp before putting on a BBQ?

asked by cookrg about 5 years ago

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Personal choice. I only buy live whole shrimp (would you ever buy dead lobster? Same scenario in my book), so my guests peel and devein to their pleasure. Especially if there is lots of spices coating the outside of the shrimp, which gets on your hands, which gets on the shrimp meat as you peel and devein.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

When I lived in southern Lousiana we would have shrimp boils and crawfish boils and grill both of them - a large part of the fun was peeling and deveining the little critters and drink beer and talk and tell jokes.

You can devein a shrimp and still leave the peel on, but it is time consuming.

906ca374 ba21 4d3f 96e6 21fa0f9f91cb  fb avatar

I do peel and devein before putting on the BBQ. You have to be careful not to overcook, though. Without the shell they cook very quickly. It's great that some people can buy live, head on shrimp but that's not an option everywhere. By peeling/deveining you can use a rub or marinade or brush on sauce during cooking. Good luck!

No way the charred shell adds such an amazing flavor when grilled. And as said before the residual spices and flavor on your fingers when peeling them is added bonus. Enjoy!

While I personally like to cook 'em with the shell on the barbie sometimes my guests do not like the "fiddle" of peeling i know one mans fiddle is another mans pleasure but sometimes to be a good host I will make them both ways then everyone gets their fab.