🔕 🔔

Shrimp heads.

So I just home from a work trip/visit with my family in Charleston/Mt. Pleasant and as is my custom I came home with 3 lbs. of shrimp fresh off of the boat. And as is also my custom I have a mixture of heads on and heads off shrimp. Normally I saute the heads on shrimp in olive oil then finish them with some brandy so they get a nice boozy lacquer and peel and eat them. However, I thought I would ask you all what you do with heads on shrimp because I bet you all have some great ideas. Thanks!

asked by Summer of Eggplant almost 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I love the heads-on shrimp at Pascal Manale's in New Orleans, drbabs has a couple of recipes for barbecue shrimp that invokes this:

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

You've definitely already done what you were going to do with your shrimp, but for next time.....I usually try to use head-on shrimp in my paella because it adds such great flavor. I also get them for my shrimp bisque so that I get even more flavor into the shrimp stock.

(For anyone who's never made their own stock, you just take the shells and heads off your shrimp and boil them in some water with maybe a couple pieces of onion, carrot, and whatever herbs you're using...it makes all the difference in the world to use fresh over canned or boxed stock.)

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Wow, wssmom, I'm honored that you found my recipe. I usually also take the heads and shells and make shrimp stock--I usually do that as a base for gumbo. Here's an easy weeknight gumbo recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I made a quick stock when I tested this fabulous recipe also: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I've also been known to stockpile them in the freezer till a rainy or snowy day when I'm in the mood to make stock. (Sometimes there are more shrimp shells/heads and chicken carcasses than food in there.)