Shrimp Stock?

I just finished peeling a lot of uncooked shrimp. Can I make stock from the peels, and how do you do it? I'm making a recipe (shrimp and grits) that calls for 1 1/2 C stock.

asked by Louisa over 6 years ago

Absolutely! If your shrimp included the heads, the stock can sometimes be bitter. But otherwise, just add water, herbs, spices, maybe some onion or other aromatic root, and simmer away.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Simmer shells, coarsely chopped onion, a smashed clove of garlic, and a few peppercorns in enough water to cover (or enough for your recipe) for about 20 minutes.

Louisa

Thank you, thank you!

I agree with all the above advice
And do use those heads! Shellfish stocks cook up more quickly than meat stocks. Just don't let it come to a full boil. Simmer.

Oh yes! I do agree about using the heads,. Tons of flavor there, and just the smallest chance that sometimes shellfish broth can get bitter. If I put you off shellfish bodies, forget I even mentioned it.

Louisa

Sorry, we're inland here in KY, but I did follow the advice above with the shrimp peelings I had and onion, bay leaf, garlic and celery seed, and the resulting shrimp and grits were wonderful.
Thanks, everybody!

Louisa

Meant to say no shrimp with heads, but still delicious.