How can I use part of a can of sweetened condensed milk?

So I have most of a can of sweetened condensed milk sitting in the fridge from when I needed just a bit a few weeks ago. How can I use it? Preferably in a relatively simple way that doesn't require 15 more ingredients and 2 hours of kitchen time. :-)

• Posted by: Peter
  • July 10, 2012

Merrill Stubbs July 10, 2012

Cook it down and make dulce de leche!

Peter
Peter July 10, 2012

Ha! Io that all the time by simmering the sealed can ("boiled can" as my Argentine friend calls it) but it never occurred to me to pour off the contents and simmer them.

Just simmer on ultra-low until the color looks right?

Esther Plume
Esther Plume July 10, 2012

Spread it on bread and eat it as is... Delicious, and no real prep, and minimal ingredients! Or Brazilian limeade...

beyondcelery
beyondcelery July 10, 2012

You can also put it into coffee; it's like dessert!

Voted the Best Reply!

savorthis
savorthis July 10, 2012

I always freeze things like that (coconut milk, chipotle, tomato paste) in ziplock baggies, flattened out. Then it is easy to break off pieces or use the whole thing later. Not that that answers your question exactly, but it buys you time!

Maedl July 10, 2012

Make Vietnamese iced coffee--perfect for the summer!

amysarah July 10, 2012

On a hot muggy day, a Vietnamese iced coffee is nectar of the gods. No exaggeration.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Eat it with a spoon. yum. or cover it and leave it in the back of the fridge for some months...it will get nice and thick and somewhat crystalized...then eat it with a spoon. yum.

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly July 10, 2012

Make a curd, instead of using citruses, you use the milk, vanilla extract and some brown sugar - call it a quick dulce de leche! Or make Key Lime pie!

Sam1148 July 10, 2012

Make Pulled Tea. Basically strong and very hot tea with the milk and sugar poured back and forth between two containers slowly increasing the distance between the containers until it's frothy and cooled down.

Panfusine
Panfusine July 11, 2012

Is that what its called? Pulled tea?? WE used to call it coffee / tea by the Yard..

Hilarybee
Hilarybee July 10, 2012

Avocado pudding/smoothie!

threefresheggs
threefresheggs July 13, 2012

1/2 can sweet/cond. milk + 1/2 an avocado + tons of ice + powerful blender = @#$%ing brilliant avaocado milkshake. Will make you weak in the knees.

Sam1148 July 10, 2012

We been using a ghirardelli "hot coco" mix. (which which has some sugar really isn't that sweet, but no milk solids like a 'instant' coco---it's mostly just chocolate and not very sweet).
And mix that with coffee the night before and chill...then in a travel mug. Add some condensed milk in and use a 'magic bullet' to froth it up. (sometimes a cube of ice). You could use a stick blender and just rinse it off and you're good to go for a commute.

yes, I know we should use cold pressed for chilled coffee, but I'm not that pickey and you really use more coffee beans than you would for french pressed and put in a tea pot in the fridge the night before using.

ATG117
ATG117 July 11, 2012

I asked this a while back: http://food52.com/hotline...

babytiger
babytiger July 11, 2012

Coffee/tea is a great idea. Vietnamese coffee and Hong Kong style milk tea both use condense milk.

In Hong Kong, people put it on toast. I like it better when you first spread peanut butter on the toast and then drizzle the milk on. Good on hot waffle as well.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo July 12, 2012

Hi Peter,
Excuse me but...

"Peter works for food52 and thinks up ways to make the website better."

The answer from ATG117 is important. I checked and that tag is correct. So if you are finding it hard to use the hotline for info maybe we need to think of a different way to access (categorize) info?