Left fresh Mozzarella out overnight

What do you think? It is in water packed tubs and completely sealed.

asked by nutcakes over 6 years ago

Bill F

What are you trying to achieve?

nutcakes

I want to eat it with garden tomatoes. It is supposed to be kept refrigerated. It isn't meat, and the seal wasn't broken, so I'm not too leary about trying it, but wondered if anyone knew more about the effect of non refrigeration on fresh mozza for 10 hours. Sorry that I wasn't more specific.

Cheeses are perhaps the only food I'm not worried about leaving out overnight. Even the fresh ones are relatively low in water, and it's that which contributes to a spoilage medium. That said, you'll probably want to eat it up sooner rather than later. And since you're fortunate enough to have garden tomatoes, which you likely also want to eat up soon, you're in luck!

Christine

I would also add that if it is in a brine, that would also lower the risk that the cheese has spoiled. I'

You're right, Christine; I totally missed that in nutcakes's question.

ChefOno

Interesting situation. USDA rules say throw it out. If it weren't for it being sealed, I'd agree since any pathogenic bacteria that happened to settle on it could easily cause trouble in the time it was at RT. Hard cheeses don't have enough moisture to promote rapid bacterial growth but soft ones do. Assuming we're talking about a pasteurized product, the big issue, I think, would be spoilage bacteria which is ever-present but would be evident as soon as you open the package (or as boulangere intimated, will likely become evident sooner than usual).

ChefOno

To be clear, I'm no shill for the USDA but their guidelines are a good place to start if nothing else. I try to include them in my comments for two reasons -- for professional liability and because my opinion is only just that. It's your risk, not mine, always your call.

Remember they have to advise for the lowest common denominator which, for consumers, is someone with a dial thermometer who doesn't understand how to use it nor its limitations. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist -- I just stick it in the meat and it tells me if it's done." Thus the safety margins. I could write a chapter on the subject, easy.

chef of the future 2000

One night on the counter in a temperature controlled house should not be any issue at all.

Sandra G. Gompf

Soft cheeses, including pasteurized, and cold cuts are frequently colonized with Listeria monocytogenes, which can thrive in pure salt, freezing temps, and many industrial surfaces. It's why you're supposed to keep them chilled, which does slow growth. If you're serving to someone pregnant, diabetic, immune suppressed, under 5 or over 50, toss it. In these people, it can cause premature birth/stillbirth, blood infection and meningitis. FDA recalls products for Listeria contamination daily, it's so common. Pregnant women should just avoid altogether. Not worth the risk. FDA, CDC, & USDA all have evidence-based info on their websites.