Basket Cheese? What the heck is it?

I picked up something at my market called Aiello's Original Dairy Maid Basket Cheese, out of Brooklyn. Looks like fresh mozzarella in a basket. Tastes a little plainer. I'm going to use it on pizza tonight, like I would fresh mozzarella.

Has anyone tried this or heard of it before?

boulangere April 30, 2011

News to me. I'll look forward to what others have to say.

MrsKeller
MrsKeller April 30, 2011
lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner April 30, 2011

Our local Narragansett Creamery makes it around Easter time - they describe it as a cross between ricotta and fresh mozzarella, and typically serve it in pretty straightforward fashion, like on crostini with fresh herbs. Your pizza idea sounds perfect!

latoscana
latoscana April 30, 2011

It's a fresh cheese made in a basket which gives it its form. You often see the imprint of the basket's weave on the cheese.

cookinginvictoria

It's a fresh Italian cheese, reminiscent of both ricotta and mozzarella, that is typically made in a small basket. I am from an Italian-American family, and my parents would always buy that cheese (freshly made) around Easter. We would drizzle it with olive oil, and eat on its own (with a grind of pepper and a sprinkle of salt) or serve it on crusty Italian bread. It only keeps for a few days in the fridge, so you need to eat it pretty quickly. When I lived in NYC, I could often find it in Little Italy around Easter time.

I am so envious, Mrs. L -- I haven't had basket cheese in years. I'll bet that it was great on homemade pizza!

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen May 1, 2011

sounds delicious!!

Cuocopazzo
Cuocopazzo March 30, 2018

Thank you for helping me figure this out. Even though I grew up in an Italian immigrant family, I never or hear of basket cheese before. Suddenly, I spotted it at a local market right next to the freshly made ricotta. I will try it. My question is this: is basket cheese interchangeable with ricotta when making ricotta pie or some of the other Italian sweets that use ricotta? Is it too heavy for this use? Thanks!

Meredith L
Meredith L March 30, 2018

Basket cheese is not a sub for ricotta if you plan to apply heat, because it has a low melting point, and melts into something a bit dense in oven. The melted consistency is quite nice, but it will not mimic the moist fluff of a dessert ricotta pie.

Laura
Laura April 1, 2018

My Italian grandmother made Easter pies every year. A double crusted pie made with eggs and diced prosciutto, Genoa salami and basket cheese. Delicious! Made two yesterday and only have 1/2 of one left.

Patty Ann
Patty Ann April 2, 2018

Using this cheese has been a tradition in my home in making a Holy Saturday Frittata, passed along by my mother-in-law, for the first "meat" meal after fasting on Good Friday.

2 lbs. fresh Asparagus, cut in pieces, gently simmered so that it retains color and is fairly al dente. 2 lbs. sweet sausage, sauteed and sliced into small pieces and then mixed with the Asparagus. Two of the Basket Cheese, sliced into chunks and added to the mixture until it starts to soften. Beat about 8 to 10 eggs into the mixture and cook slowly until the omelet forms. Of course, season to taste and serve with a loaf of Ciabatta.