🔕 🔔

Almond butter is smoking

So...trying to make almond butter by whipping up raw almonds in my FP. Just added some spices and honey and not only was there steam coming out the top, it just won't get creamy. Huh??

asked by amhendricks over 5 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Steam or smoke? My food processor starts to smoke ever so slightly if I run the motor constantly long enough to get almond butter creamy. Instead, I do it in 2min or so increments, letting the processor rest a couple minutes between running it. My processor is small and it's like 10 years old, so this is probably why it does that (I've used it about twice a week or more its whole life). Your almond butter should get creamy eventually, but it takes awhile. Usually much longer than people realize.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Having once burned a motor out making nut butters in a blender, proceed with caution, as beyondcelery says! Use 'pulse' when you start, and add a little neutral (or almond oil if you have it). The motor of your FP may not be strong enough for this job.

Add some oil to help make it creamy. Nut butters are only ground nuts so there's no missing secret.