A question about a recipe: Lemon Herb Quinoa with Hemp Seeds, Spring Peas, and Basil

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon Herb Quinoa with Hemp Seeds, Spring Peas, and Basil" from Gena Hamshaw. I'm having a hard time finding hemp seeds--should I omit or replace with something else? If replace, suggestions?

• Posted by: t-dawg
  • July 17, 2012

SKK July 17, 2012

Hemp seed is in the refrigerated section of places like Whole Foods and larger chain grocery stores. You can also order it on line from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=hemp+seeds&sprefix=hemp+seed%2Caps%2C263 Or directly from the source https://store.nutiva.com/hempseed/?gclid=CIvbm-f9obECFaEJRQodOG-7lA
My opinion there is nothing to replace it with. It has a nutty flavor of its own and is well worth the wait of delivery

Hilarybee
Hilarybee July 17, 2012

They are very unique, but I think pepitas would taste delicious.

britta the cooker
britta the cooker July 18, 2012

While hemp seeds are very unique in flavor and texture, toasted pine nuts would be a great substitute. They definitely have similar flavors. But I agree, you should try and find hemp seeds as they are so nutrient dense, have a flavor all their own and are also less expensive than pine nuts. Most natural foods or co-op type store carry them. They are often sold in the Nutrition departments of stores. If you do find some, try using them when making pesto-incredible texture and flavor!

Gena Hamshaw
Gena Hamshaw July 18, 2012

Hi there!

You can absolutely replace these with pine nuts--I think that would work well. If those are out of your price range, you might try roasted sunflower seeds (a distinctive taste, so be sure it's a taste you like). And if neither suits you, I think that pumpkin seeds would also be lovely.

Gena

Susan Breidenstine
Susan Breidenstine March 2, 2014

Just joined Food52 after finding it in a search for hemp seed alternatives. Thanks for the suggestions! I have a recipe to try and will sub pine nuts since my daughter is a competitive HS runner and does not want to fail if she is picked for the school's random drug testing. (Even if it really doesn't impact it, in her mind it is not worth the risk.) Now I need to try this recipe too!